Friday, October 20, 2023

DyslexiaCon 2023 Conference Highlights

Last week the International Dyslexia Association held their 74th Annual DyslexiaCon Conference in Columbus, Ohio. For me and members of the Branch Council, festivities began on Wednesday night with a special reception for the presidents and board members of the 44 branches of IDA.

Thursday morning I had the great honor of co-presenting a 2-hour session with Kelly Cartwright Ph.D. called Hercules Vs. Heracles, the Importance of Cognitive Flexibility. Kelly is not only brilliant, but she is also able to translate that brilliance into language and practical examples everyone can understand. To our surprise and delight, close to 500 people attended our session. Many of them stopped by my booth for Word Travel Press later that day to continue the conversation. Kelly and I are currently working on a study to determine the effects of cognitive flexibility games on decoding. To find out more, check out my website page on Cognitive Flexibility.  Kelly's publisher is offering a special discount on her book. Use code AF2E at Guilford Press.


Friday morning I started my day with a brainstorming session with the presidents of the Western Region branches (Austin, Dallas, Houston, Arizona, Utah, Rocky Moutain, and Southwest). I'm always inspired by this lively group. They shared ideas and inspirations. That night we all went to dinner at Buca Di Beppo. I have been serving as the IDA Advisor for the Western Region for over a year now, and it has been a pure delight getting to know these women who are changing laws and transforming lives.

After dinner, we attended a viewing of Harvey Hubbell's new movie, Hopeville, about a school called Hopeville that turned around student performance by implementing structured literacy. Afterward, Harvey (far left) led a discussion of the movie with leaders in the field of dyslexia.

I was so busy that I didn't get to attend many sessions, so I'm really looking forward to the conference recordings. I did take a spin around the exhibit hall and met up with my old friend Mary Jo O'Neill at the Brookes booth. She wrote a chapter for my book, Story Frames for Teaching Literacy about her work as a family advocate. She helps parents write a Family Story that they then use to help teachers and administrators better understand their students. 


I'm already getting ready for next year. The 75th Annual Conference on Reading, Literacy & Learning will be held in Dallas, Texas. I hope to see you there!

Sign up for my newsletter to keep up with upcoming book news and free offers. Visit the Sign Up Page on my website and receive a FREE digital copy of my decodable book, No Gift for Man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.