Monday, February 27, 2012

Connecting with Teens and School To World

This past Saturday I had a great time manning the SCBWI booth at School To World. Over 2,000 8th and 9th grade students flooded the convention center to experience hundreds of career options. I talked to talks to dozens of kids and teachers about the writing life, how I plot my books, and what it means to be an author. I also got to tell them about a mega poetry contest I'm conducting with Alamosa Books here in Albuquerque. I'll also be hosting a free verse novel workshop with Caroline Starr Rose at the bookstore on April 14th at 2:00 p.m. For details about the contest, visit Alamosa Books.

The UNM Lobos were at the booth right next to me. As things slowed down they came over for a picture. We got to talking and one of the football players told me he writes poetry and is interested in learning about novel writing. You never know what fascinating people you might meet at these events.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun time. Poetry and sports together. I hope to make some of the Albuquerque events this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad it went well! Tell those Lobos to come on down to Alamosa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the guys said he might be there:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.