Sunday, February 14, 2016

Yes, I May Be Crazy - I'm Training for a Half Marathon


Superbowl Sunday, February 7, 2016, I began training for the Suja Rock 'n' Roll half marathon which will be held in San Diego on June 5. Since I'm not a runner, and not really much of an athlete at all for that matter, this should be very interesting. It's all part of my new (as of January 2015) post as President of the Southwest Branch of the International Dyslexia Association. IDA is spearheading a nationwide fundraising campaign called TeamQuest and I'm in charge of recruiting runners for New Mexico. Go me!

Full disclosure - the picture to the left is NOT me.

It seemed only fitting that I should be the first volunteer for the race, despite the fact that when I registered for the event, I was fifteen pounds overweight with chronic hip pain. I've lost five pounds and the hip pain is on the way out. So far so good.

Before heading out to eat junk food and watch the big game last Sunday (Yay Broncos!), I walked/ ran a total of 5 miles (full disclosure - I really only ran about half a mile). Part of that was a trek around the Albuquerque Academy (3.4 miles or roughly a 5K).  The Academy has some beautiful views of the Sandia Mountains.



According to Map My Run  - my new favorite app, last week I walked/ran a total of 12 miles. And it only took me 3 hours and 10 minutes - spread across four separate days. If I could convince the marathon folks to let me take my time, I could totally do this. Maybe a week is asking too much though. I did find out that they have a shuttle bus that picks up the stragglers and takes them to the finish line. San Diego traffic can only be diverted for so long.

So if anybody out there wants to run a marathon or half marathon in San Diego to support the International Dyslexia Association - check out our TeamQuest post at http://southwestida.org. You don't have to live in Albuquerque. Training is going on all over the U.S.

If you're not a runner but you would still like to contribute to a good cause, check out my fundraising page at CAROLEE'S FUNDRAISING PAGE.

Maybe I'll see you in San Diego!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.