Tuesday, April 17, 2012

FAMOUS POETS WHO OVERCAME READING DISABILITIES

In honor of poetry month and the poets who sometimes struggle with their craft, I've written an article for Cynsations about poets with reading disabilities. There is an excerpt below, but be sure to go to Cynsations to read the rest of the article.

William Butler Yeats is considered one of the great poets of the 20th century, and yet he struggled with one of the most basic skill needed for his craft, the ability to read.

An article by Marylou Minder and Linda S. Siegel in the 1992 (Vol. 25, Number 6) issue of the
Journal of Learning Disabilities, entitled “William Butler Yeats: Dyslexic?” sites several examples from The Autobiography of William Butler Yeats that indicate that he may have suffered from this reading disability.

The authors begin the article with a quote from his book:
"Several of my uncles and aunts had tried to teach me to read, and because they could not, and because I was much older than children who read easily, had come to think, as I have learnt since, that I had not all my faculties." (Yeats, 1965, p. 14)


BE SURE TO VISIT CYNSATIONS TO READ THE REST OF THE ARTICLE...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments. They will appear on the blog after review by the blog administrator.